HIV doesn't define you

Living with HIV in Montana

Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) Program.

Our program provides access to affordable housing and support services to people living with HIV/AIDS and their families.  Open Aid Alliance offers the following services:

  • Rental assistance
  • Housing navigation
  • Case management
  • Referrals/connections to other agencies

Continue reading below for more details on our program eligibility and how to apply.

Blue home with OAA logo

Housing Support for Individuals and Families Living with HIV

Comprehensive Housing and Support Services

At Open Aid Alliance (OAA), we administer the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) Program to provide critical support to individuals and families living with HIV. This program ensures access to affordable housing and essential support services, helping to reduce homelessness and improve access to healthcare for those affected by HIV/AIDS.

Our Service Area

OAA proudly serves seventeen counties in Western Montana through the HOPWA Program. Our coverage includes:

  • Beaverhead
  • Broadwater
  • Deer Lodge
  • Flathead
  • Glacier
  • Granite
  • Jefferson
  • Lake
  • Lewis and Clark
  • Lincoln
  • Madison
  • Mineral
  • Missoula
  • Powell
  • Ravalli
  • Sanders
  • Silver Bow

Support Beyond the Western Region

For those residing in the Eastern Region of Montana, please reach out to Riverstone Health Center for assistance. You can contact them directly at 406-247-3350.

Program Eligibility

If you meet the following criteria for program eligibility, please use the form below to contact the housing team.

  • Participants must be living with HIV/AIDS and be living in or moving to Western Montana
  • Participants must be low-income
  • Participants must be willing to work toward self sufficiency and contribute in some way to housing expenses

You may also be eligible for assistance with deposits and application fees associated with housing

Housing Program FAQ

Here are some answers to frequently asked questions and additional resources to help you with housing and financial assistance.

We answer phones Monday-Thursday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  Our office is open to visitors Monday through Thursday, Noon to 5:00 PM.  Call 406-543-4775 if you have questions and one of our Housing Specialists will be happy to help.  If there is no answer, leave a message and they’ll call you back as soon as they can.

  • The Human Resource Council is a great place to start. Trained staff analyzes questions and/or problems and link people with social services that meet their needs. They operate an information and referral line at 406-549-5555 or 211 which is active from 12-5pm M-F.
  • YWCA is a fantastic resource for anyone dealing with or leaving a domestic violence situation, for those who have experienced sexual violence, and/or are experiencing homelessness. They run a 24/7 support line 406-544-1944 and offer many services such as transitional housing, emergency shelter, and services for families and children while folks work toward self-sufficiency and independence.
  • Valor House provides transitional housing and services for veterans. For an application, please call  406-829-3929.
  • The Missoula Poverello Center provides food, shelter and help to Missoula’s homeless and undeserved populations. 406-728-1809
  • Salvation Army of Missoula offers many services, including emergency shelter and winter shelter. 406-549-0710
  • For Section 8 housing registration information click here. Section 8 is a resource for lower income families and individuals to make housing more affordable.
  • The S+C program is a permanent supportive housing program for the homeless. S+C is a rental assistance program specifically designed to help homeless disabled individuals and families receive adequate housing and supportive services. Once in the program, you would rent from a private landlord in Missoula, pay 30% of your monthly adjusted income towards rent and MHA will pay the rent difference. Supportive services are provided by local social service agencies. NOTE: S+C only accepts applicants referred through the Missoula Coordinated Entry System.
  • The low income energy assistance program or LIEAP can provide help with winter energy bills and home weatherization.
  • A list of Montana Bills Assistance Programs can be found here.  This is a good list of services and resources for low income individuals and families.

Contact a Housing Specialist

Picture of three houses
Image of a house with heart on door
Picture of two houses
A person who presents as male holding up their sleeve showing a bandaid after getting vaccinated.


We will be participating in an organization-wide staff development and training this week.  Please note the change in hours.  We look forward to sharing what we learn with you when we return on Thursday.

A contemporary pop art image of a crowd of people in an office.